Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Revising Blog 4: Summary of Plato's "Allegory of the Cave" and “My Place in the Cave.”

Summary of Plato’s “Allegory of the Cave”


In Plato’s “Allegory of the Cave”, Socrates is having a conversation with one of his followers, Glaucon. "It is true that many people around you may think you are weird or even a danger to the society, but you do not care. Once you have tasted the truth, you will not want to go back to being ignorant!".
The conversation between Socrates and Glaucon is about IGNORANCE in the society. Socrates’ theory of the ignorance for the truth is shown as a prisoner in the cave. As the prisoners were chained to the wall, underground, they were not allowed to turn their heads towards the passing figures, they could only hear sounds and see the shadows. They would FANCY for freedom, and the sight of sunlight. But if only one of those prisoners would be let free, he would CONTEMPLATE on what are the objects before him, at first. When he will finally get his vision accustomed, he will cherish the freedom and find himself in the right place.
Plato's thinks that people in the society sometimes live like they were in the cave for many months and when they come out, they feel blinded by the light. As soon as their vision gets accustomed, they never want to go back to that darkness. The choice to live in the light, truth, is wanted more than living in the darkness, ignorance.


My Place in the Cave


If I would be in the Socrates' Cave story, I would be still in the cave, chained to the wall. I'm blind(could say ignorant, in a way), and I don't mean that I'm blind because I wear glasses or contact lenses, I'm blind because I’m lacking information about my Dad’s true side.

I’m like those prisoners, they saw shadows and heard echos of foot steps. I see my Dad, who is hiding something from me and lies to me, and those lies are pouring from his mouths, like water from a waterfall.  I doubt that he’s doing it for protection. Sometimes it all turns into a blur.

I guess, me, still chained, is because I'm a naive person. I trust people too fast and too easy. I believe in them and then, its either they will do something against my will, or a thing that will hurt my heart. I can not ever know if my Dad is lying to me, he is really great at telling the stories but he does not have the backup for them, always blaming someone else for it and claiming that the evidence got lost so he can't prove it, so I can only trust him, and there, I get drowned later on, with all those lies.

My story doesn't end with a prisoner coming out from the Cave, yet. Seeing the light and stop being ignorant will happen eventually, so far the guards(life) don’t  want me to fulfill my knowledge, which symbolizes truth. Maybe there is something deep and dark, something that might scare me, change the picture about him,that he has been painting for me.

I've been wanting the truth from him and some kind of support for his theories about people, and the tales he is telling me. So far he doesn't want to talk to me that much, because he’s loosing a believer, Me. The ignorant one still is ignorant, lacking that knowledge, but maybe a little less than before. She’s starting to see the true picture and loosing the one that was painted for her by her hero, Dad.

1 comment:

  1. Very good revision of Blog 4, especially the summary and the way you formatted the whole. I will use this response as an example of how to write the CATW.

    On the other hand, the response part is still general, probably because you are not too willing to share details about your Dad's stories. When writing for others, you should always choose something you are comfortable expanding on.

    ReplyDelete