Thursday, November 4, 2010

Blog 11: "Let Them Eat Fat"

      In "Let Them Eat Fat" Critser discisses fast food consumption in America. He explains how people in his lower-middle-income area stop by places, like McDonald's, for a quick bite, late at night. The fast food companies attract customers by letting them supersize their meal for less than a dolar. But with the supersizion, comes a bigger amount of calories that are being consumed. That concerns dietics in U.S. because more teenagers are getting obese by the arrival of huge meals and physical activity amonge them drops by almost a half.
      One thing this article reminds me of is me and my friends because we used to eat McDonald's late at night. Later, we would complain about our weight or high cholesterol level at age of seventeen.
      The article mentioned poor people in low-middle-income areas, I don't think we are poor, we just found it more convienient because it was open 24/7. There were no other stores or restaurants open at 3 a.m. to get a warm meal. It was an easy access and tasted, could say, well. They always had nice advertisments, telling us to get more and more food.
      I am interested in dietition and I have been observing people around me, since I opened my eyes. Teens don't really watch what they are eating, and I used to be the same. I was in my doctor's office when I stood on the scale an it showed that I was 160 lbs. heavy. That hit me hard and I decided to lose weight by eating healthier and excersizing. That's when I realized there is more thicker teenagers than those who are thin.
      I think that the reason for teenagers being obese is not only because fast food is cheap, but because fast food industry makes themselves easy to access. They are mostly open 24/7, they have drive thrus, and there is so many of them all over the place. It's also true they are cheap and you can get a lot of food with as much as $5, but the dark and hidden secret are the calories and fats. And those are not the good and healthy ingredients, but the bad ones, which are the cause of so called "love handles".

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karolina, I am a tutor and I wanted to make some comments on your writing.
    I liked your first paragraph, I think you did a good job on the development, but I will suggest you to expand your ideas a little more. You can try to expand the las sentence where you say, "That concerns dietics in U.S. because more teenagers are getting obese by the arrival of huge meals and physical activity amonge them drops by almost a half." I would like to know what you mean by "drops by half"?
    I think your second paragraph was GREAT! Because as the instructions say you supported your claims with your personal evidence. I do suggest that you try to develop and expand your ideas, for example: what else can you say or how can you say " One thing this article reminds me of is me and my friends because we used to eat McDonald's late at night."
    Overall your paper was good! The main point clearly continues throughout the paper and you made connections between your ideas and paragraphs. Try to work a little harder on your language and tone of voice.
    As I said overall your paper looks GREAT! it just needs a little improvement.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete